DESIGN & LAYOUT
WORKSHOPS FOR EAC CERTIFICATION
STRUCTURAL AND SUBSTANTIVE EDITING
A structural editor is the “big picture” editor.
Structural (or substantive) editors check the overall architecture of a book, document, or website.
• Editing for length
• Cutting redundant material
• Suggesting material to be added
• Identifying inaccuracies
• Recasting material that is better presented in another form
• Commenting on characterization, setting, plot, theme, and so on
• Checking reading levels
• Positioning visual elements
• Flagging material that needs permissions, and obtaining them if necessary